Information for members during COVID-19 disruption
(Issue 1, 25 March 2020)
Are classes still being held at the Club?
No. All training classes across all disciplines have been cancelled at least until the scheduled beginning of Term 2 on Wednesday 29 April. This decision affects all formal classes in Behaviour Training, Agility, Dances with Dogs, Flyball, Obedience Trialling, Rally Obedience and Tricks. It also affects all trials and other club events scheduled during this period.
Tracking is held off-site and it’s a winter sport. Is it affected?
The Club’s sanctioned Tracking activities are not due to commence until May so are not affected by the current cancellations. Please monitor the Club’s website and Facebook page in April for further advice.
If Club activities resume in Term 2 how will I know when classes are on and what class I am in?
Class members currently involved in all of the Club’s training activities will be contacted by their relevant Sub-Committee in the lead-up to the resumption of Club classes. For any class members who require assessment to progress to the next level, we will ask your Term 1 instructor to make an assessment based on your progress to date, and we will contact you to check your training intentions before classes resume. In most cases this contact will be via email or the usual communication channel used by your particular sport. We will also make a general announcement on our website and Facebook about the resumption of Club activities.
What happens if government measures are still in place at the end of April that prohibit or restrict social gatherings?
If this is the case – and it currently appears highly likely – all training classes across all disciplines will remain cancelled until further notice. We will post a notice on Facebook and on our website.
I am a new member and am due to start Behaviour Training classes in Term 2. What will happen to my booking if classes do not start in Term 2?
Providing you have paid your membership your enrolment will be transferred to Term 3 and you will be able to commence training then (currently from Wednesday 22 July 2020). We will also contact you to confirm your intentions. We will continue to roll bookings over from term to term until classes can resume. The renewal date for new members who have booked for Term 2 will be calculated from the date that classes resume.
I am due to start Behaviour Training classes in Term 2 but want to cancel my booking due to all the uncertainty. Can I receive a refund?
Yes. Please email your request for a refund together with your bank details (BSB, account number and account name) to the Club at email@example.com and we will refund your fees. This will include the non-refundable joining fee due to the circumstances facing everyone in the community.
Will you be taking new bookings for Behaviour Training classes?
We will continue to take bookings for Term 2 until classes are full. Bookings for Terms 3 and 4 are not being taken at present as we do not know when we will be able to resume classes. When we do resume classes priority for class places will be given to new members booked for Term 2 and other existing financial members.
I am an existing member and my membership is up-to-date. May I access the club grounds while classes are cancelled?
Yes. Providing your renewal is up-to-date you may access the grounds strictly subject to the following conditions:
- The purpose of your visit is to provide your dog with some brief physical and mental stimulation away from home.
- You MUST practice social distancing and good hygiene practices as outlined by ACT Health (see https://www.health.act.gov.au/about-our-health-system/novel-coronavirus-covid-19/protect-yourself).
- This includes staying at least 1.5 metres away from any other members on the grounds.
- You must NOT congregate in groups with other members on the grounds.
- Limit your time to 15 minutes if another member wishes to use the same off-lead area you are occupying. They, too, may have preferences for the off-lead area they like to use.
- Keep sanitiser and/or a bottle of soapy water and towel in your car so you can wash your hands when arriving and leaving the grounds. You can also use the washroom next to the Puppy Playpen (please leave the door shut when you leave).
- You may only bring family members listed on your membership record on to the Club grounds (subject to the social distancing requirements above).
- You may only bring your own dog(s) onto the grounds and these dogs must have been listed on your membership record when classes were cancelled (ie at 19 March 2020).
- You must abide by all of the protocols outlined in the brochure: Using the Club grounds, March 2020 (https://www.actcdc.org.au/uploads/7/0/6/6/70669885/trifold_brochure_-_using_the_club_grounds__march_2020_.pdf ).
- These include NOT inviting or bringing visitors or non-members onto the grounds.
- Unless you are a club official* you must NOT park in the Club’s car park. Any club official using the club car park is responsible for ensuring the car park is locked on departure.
- Unless you are a club official* you must NOT use the Club’s floodlights. Any club official using the flood lights is responsible for switching the lights off.
PLEASE NOTE: Access to the grounds may be withdrawn at any time if the government further tightens its measures on social gatherings and non-essential travel.
I am not sure if my membership is up-to-date. What should I do?
Our Treasurer recently sent email advice to all members who are due (or overdue) to renew. Please contact the Club office on firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unsure about your status. Remember, you may not access the grounds if you are overdue for renewal.
I am struggling with my dog’s behaviour and need help!
We hope to provide some tips and hints to members, and links to useful and reliable resources, via our Facebook page and other channels during the suspension of Club activities.
Is the Club office remaining open?
Yes. We expect the Club office to remain open during restricted office hours (Tues-Friday 10.00am – 2.00pm) until further notice but we ask that you conduct business by email, phone or post. We will respond to queries as soon as our resources allow under these difficult times.
Will the Club’s Committee and Sub-Committees continue to meet during the interruption to the Club’s activities?
Yes. The Club’s Main Committee meets on the last Tuesday of each month and business will need to be conducted to keep the Club running during the current disruption to activities. We will use video-conferencing facilities if we cannot meet face-to-face as well as using email to maintain regular communication. The Club’s Sub-Committees (Behaviour Training, Agility, Obedience Trialling & Rally Obedience, Dances with Dogs & Tricks, and Tracking) are also continuing to manage their activities via meetings, emails, Facebook and other channels.
The Club’s Annual General Meeting is scheduled for Monday 17 August. Will it go ahead if government measures are still in place that prohibit social gatherings?
The Club’s Constitution requires the Annual General Meeting to be conducted in July or August each year. The Main Committee will monitor the impact of any government restrictions on the planned meeting. The meeting can be held remotely using video-conferencing facilities if required. Members will be notified if changes to arrangements are required.
How can I keep up-to-date with any changes to all these arrangements?
Please keep an eye on our public Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/ACTCompaniondogclub/ and on the Club’s website (https://www.actcdc.org.au/ ) for further updates including any changes to the above arrangements. Remember, you can access our Facebook page even if you are not a registered user (just click ‘not now’ on the pop-up message and scroll down to read messages).
If you have any queries please contact the Club office on email@example.com and we will do our best to respond.
We look forward to seeing you and your dogs back at the Club when circumstances allow.
Thank you for your co-operation and understanding.
On behalf of the Main Committee and Sub-Committees of the ACT Companion Dog Club.